Join our baby massage experience for parents and learn how to massage your baby using a range of massage strokes that can be very beneficial not only for baby, but also for you! Massage is a wonderful and special gift that you can share with your baby. Touch is your baby’s most developed sense at birth and through it you can communicate love, security and trust. Baby massage can help you to understand your baby’s cues and develop your ability to listen and respond through the creation of a special time together. With your instinctual, loving touch, you can lay down the foundations which can help you to build a happy and confident relationship with your baby for the future.
You can learn the full body massage routine in a group in 4-5 sessions, or more if you wish to! As I can teach you more songs, rhymes that go with the massage and more massage sequences, and adaptations as your child grows. The sessions are typically one-hour long (one per week). A bottle of baby massage oil is included, as well as handouts with images and explanations so that you remember the routine and practice it at home, and you also get a certificate of attendance at the end.
Private lessons on a one to one basis or in a small group can also be arranged.
kin2Skin can also visit a children’s centre or community setting for a series of sessions or for one-off group sessions.
What are the benefits?
Benefits for your baby:
- Relief from colic, wind, constipation and teething pain
- Develops body awareness and coordination
- Helps develop trust and build a sense of security
- Increases relaxation and encourages deep sleep
- Helps tone floppy muscles
- Strengthens bonding and communication
- Stimulates baby’s digestion, nervous and immune systems
- Helps baby to feel loved, valued and respected
Benefits for parents:
- Helps you gain a deeper understanding of your baby's behaviour and body language
- Provides an enjoyable opportunity for you to spend one-to-one time with your baby
- Offers relaxing effects of giving your baby a massage, you feel relaxed too
- Increases confidence in your ability to care for and nurture your baby
- Builds social networks as you will meet new parents
- Provides a life-long parenting skill
What do you learn?
You will learn the full baby massage routine that includes legs, stomach, chest, arms, face and back strokes. Some courses also include the colic routine. You will learn the benefits that each one of the strokes bring to you and baby and you will learn lots of interesting facts about how the baby's brain develops and why positive and nurturing touch is so important. We include nursery rhymes and songs to make the experience more fun!
The added value of learning baby massage as a group, is that you will also get a chance to learn from the experiences of other mums and dads and build friendships. The added value of learning baby massage privately, is that you will receive one to one expert support in the comfort of your home.
What's the investment?
- Group experiences in a home start at £55 per family, contact me for a quote as price might vary according to group size and number of sessions.
- Group experiences at Ellie Brown's Greenwich Fitness and Pilates Studio are £65 per family and run for 5 sessions of an hour long. These sessions start in April 2018, book now.
- Group experiences in partnership with El Recreo Spanish Club, are available at drop-in fee of £9 per class or £8 per class booking a half or full term. More info here.
- Private experiences in the home for a parent or couples start from £90 depending on location, the private course typically lasts 3 classes, but could also last more depending on content and family's needs, contact me to tailor the course specially for you and your lil one.
All classes last approximately 60 minutes.
Fancy baby yoga too? Combine baby massage and baby yoga and safe with our combo-offers:
- For groups in a home, baby massage and baby yoga (8 classes) for £95 per family, handouts and baby massage oil included. Minimum 4 families.
- For private classes, take both, baby massage and baby yoga from £170, depending on location, 7 classes in total.
Get a group of 5 or more together in your home and get 10% off in the full price of your course for being the host/hostess.
Special offers available for children's centres, charities and community organisations.
How is it taught?
The instructor teaches all sequences of the massage using a demonstration doll and the parents practice with their own baby. An extra doll is available in case a baby is asleep or doesn't want to be massaged at the time of the class, that way parents can still practice and learn the strokes. The group sits on the floor on floor mats. However, if you have any back problems or any other movement requirements, please let us know to make different arrangements to meet your needs.
What to bring:
Very simple: a towel or blanket for baby to lie on, what you normally need for baby when going out (e.g. food, nappies, etc.), a small toy for baby, a cushion for you to sit on.
Who can attend a class?
Anyone who is the main carer of a baby! This could be: mum only, dad only, mum and dad, foster carers, parents who adopt a baby, mum and mum or dad and dad.
How old can baby be?
Preferably, babies need to be from 6 weeks old to non-crawlers. Do get in touch if your baby is premature as baby massage can be extremely beneficial for premature babies. Or if your baby is less than 6 weeks and is very colicky as baby massage can help relief colic pain.
How big are the groups?
Group sizes vary, for classes in your home, groups could be from 2 to as many families as you'd like to fit in your home. For classes in venues, group sizes are limited to 10 families. Remember that you can also book a private baby massage course.
How about twins?
You do not pay any extra if you have twins! However, you will only get one set of handouts per family.
What if my baby has medical condition or additional health care needs?
Babies with a disability can benefit greatly from baby massage. Please contact us to discuss details.
What areas do we cover?
We cover the following London and Southeast postcodes:
SE3 (Blackheath), SE6 (Catford), SE9 (Eltham), SE10 (Greenwich), SE12 (Lee, Hither Green and Grove Park), SE13 (Lewisham), BR1 and BR2 (Bromley), BR7 (Chistlehurst), BR5 (Orpington)
Do get in touch if you live somewhere else for a quote or we could link you with other great instructors in your area.