Our baby yoga experience perfectly complements baby massage as it expands the benefits of touch with movements, stretches and relaxation. Baby yoga is a playful interaction that enhances communication between parent and baby and promotes their healthy development.
Our practice is gentle and safe; it has nothing to do with the controversial video that went viral on the Internet, claiming it was ‘baby yoga’.
You can learn baby yoga in 4 one-hour sessions (one per week), for groups, or more sessions if you want to keep practicing, repetition is key to master a good yoga practice. It includes handouts with images and explanations so that you remember the routine and practice it at home. Classes take place in a spacious studio in OneSpace Kidbrooke or in the home of one of the members of the group, we just need a spacious living room or lounge. Private lessons on a one to one basis or in a small group can also be arranged, they can also take place in the comfort of your home.
kin2Skin can also visit a children's centre or community setting for one off group sessions or longer courses.
What are the benefits?
Benefits for baby:
- Promotes tummy time and active play for babies
- Swings and dips help to develop baby’s body awareness, coordination and balance
- The use of songs helps to develop baby’s sense of rhythm and promotes language development and communication between parent/carer and baby
- The main difference compared to baby massage, is that baby yoga stimulates baby’s senses through a variety of different stimulus: movement, touch, songs and stretching
Benefits for parent/carer:
- Aids flexibility
- Strengthens muscles
- Aligns the spine
- Aids relaxation
- It is non-competitive
Benefits for both:
- Can enhance the bonding process
- The release of oxytocin and endorphins (‘feel good hormones’) in both parent/carer and baby encourages relaxation and wellbeing
It shares some benefits with baby massage:
- Eases digestion as stretches can help relieve colicky pains and wind. The movements in baby yoga complement the movements in baby massage, a combination of both provides the infant’s digestive system with a high degree of support.
- As with baby massage, baby yoga can help to settle babies and improve their sleep patterns
- Reduces crying and emotional distress
- It’s fun!
What do you learn?
You will learn a series of stretches and movements to do with your baby. We will incorporate lots of rhymes and songs to make the experience really fun!! You will learn the benefits that each one of the movements bring to you and baby and you will learn lots of interesting facts about how the baby's brain develops and why positive and nurturing touch is so important. This programme includes gentle yoga poses and breathing exercises for mums and dads too.
The added value of learning baby yoga as a group is that you will also get a chance to learn from the experiences of other mums and dads and build friendships. The added value of learning baby massage privately is that you will receive one to one expert support in the comfort of your home.
What's the investment?
- Group experiences in a home start at £45 per family, contact us for a quote as price might vary depending on number of sessions and group size.
- Group experiences at OneSpace Kidbrooke are £45 per family, for 4 sessions.
- Private experiences in the home for a parent or couples start from £120 depending on location, for a block of 4 sessions.
All classes last approximately 60 minutes.
Combine baby massage and baby yoga and save with our combo-offers:
- For groups, baby massage and baby yoga (8 classes) for £95 per family, minimum 4 families. All handouts and baby massage oil included.
- For private classes, take both, baby massage and baby yoga from £170, depending on location, 7 classes in total. All handouts and baby massage oil included.
Get a group of 5 or more together in your home and get 10% off in the full price of your course for being the host/hostess.
Special offers available for children's centres, charities and community organisations.
How is it taught?
The instructor teaches all movements of baby yoga using a demonstration doll and the parents practice with their own baby. An extra doll is available in case a baby is asleep or doesn't want to be massaged at the time of the class, that way parents can still practice and learn the strokes. The group sits on the floor on floor mats. However, if you have any back problems or any other movement requirements, please let us know to make different arrangements to meet your needs.
What to bring:
Very simple: a towel or blanket for baby to lie on, what you normally need for baby when going out (e.g. food, nappies, etc.), a small toy for baby, a cushion for you to sit on and a yoga mat.
In the case of baby yoga, you will not need oil, most of the movements are done with baby wearing clothes.
Please wear comfortable clothes.
Who can attend a class?
Anyone who is the main carer of a baby! This could be: mum only, dad only, mum and dad, foster carers, parents who adopt a baby, mum and mum or dad and dad.
How old can baby be?
Preferably, babies need to be from 12 weeks old to one year.
How big are the groups?
Group sizes vary, for classes in your home, groups could be from 2 to as many families as you'd like to fit in your home. For classes in venues, group sizes are limited to 10 families. Remember that you can also book a private baby massage course.
How about twins?
You do not pay any extra if you have twins! However, you will only get one set of handouts per family. It would be great if both parents attend or a friend or close member of the family attends the classes with you so that both babies can receive full attention, but if this is not possible, still come along!
What if my baby has medical or additional health care needs?
Babies with a disability can benefit greatly from baby massage. Please contact us to discuss details.
What areas do we cover?
We cover the following London and Southeast postcodes:
SE3 (Blackheath), SE6 (Catford), SE9 (Eltham), SE10 (Greenwich), SE12 (Lee, Hither Green and Grove Park), SE13 (Lewisham), BR1 and BR2 (Bromley), BR7 (Chistlehurst), BR5 (Orpington)
Do get in touch if you live somewhere else for a quote or we could link you with other great instructors in your area.